Top 10 Ways to Take Care of Yourself at Work
Self-care is not an “emergency response plan” to be activated when stress becomes overwhelming. When we consistently take care of ourselves and our energy, we are noticeably more effective and more productive—and usually in fewer hours. Put these tips into practice, and see what good business sense they make.
1. Create a nurturing work environment, with healthy air and lighting, supportive décor, ample water, high-protein snacks, etc.
2. Keep writer’s hours, even if you’re not a writer. Reserve blocks of focused time that are yours with no, repeat NO, interruptions.
3. Start each week and each day with planning. Doing so increases productivity and success, and eases anxiety and stress.
4. Banish clutter. Doing this can untether huge amounts of energy, not to mention make you more efficient.
5. Book time in the day to handle email and voicemail. Turn off your incoming mail notifications, use a receptionist, answering service, or let your calls go to voice mail and don’t allow these interruptions to distract you from getting time-sensitive work done. You’ll feel better if your focus is undivided.
6. Take your lunch. However, resist the urge to eat while working. Take a walk, listen to classical music, write a poem, etc.. Do what inspires you.
7. Be mindful. Relinquish activities, behaviors or attitudes that result in frenzied schedules and meaningless pursuits.
8. Be on the lookout for every opportunity to delegate work. And be sure to hire highly competent, talented people to whom you could delegate.
9. Balance exertion with recovery. For every “sprint” at work—mentally or physically—schedule downtime in minutes, days or weeks.
10. Get enough sleep at night. Though most of us can function in a sleep-deprived state, we will never be at the top of our game without sufficient zzz’s.
Author’s content used under license, © 2008 Claire Communications